Friday, April 18

Sewing therapy

Been having a hard few months feeling progressively unwell, not sleeping then sleeping too much, constant headache, aches and pains, starting to feel very low, grumpy and so it goes on. Well the doctor spelt it out for me this week - take a break or end up having a breakdown. This was a shock as I was convinced I had some infection or horrible illness - no idea stress can manifest itself so physically. I've always prided myself as been calm, able and strong - guess I do have limits.

So got a forced week off work (doctor wanted two) - this is my first day and spent the morning not knowing what to do, yet I must admit I feel better already. Decided to do some sewing therapy. Didn't want to ruin any fabric so I used two tea towels and made a bag. This took me a long time - WHY? Because I couldn't remember how to put the lining in. I have made tonnes of bags and lining should be second nature - your brain is a strange beast. I do feel better now having absorbed myself in something for a couple of hours, but really tired. So I'm going to go for the walk the doctor ordered for everyday.

Here is the result it isn't great. In fact it is very badly made and will fray but it did it's job and I enjoyed it.

I have been touched by friends - on is taking me out to a craft evening tonight (got no choice) and another turned up to take my son to his swimming lesson last night. I am touched by their kindness. We all need to seriously think about how we live and what is important in our lives - would my children prefer to have a happy mum or a grumpy mum who is always running off too work?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really lovely bag design, and I hope you are feeling more like yourself soon :)